Why I love Kheris Burning…

http://mybook.to/kherisburning

…so much so that it’s the first Thieves’ Guild book to make it to audiobook format. The answer is complicated, as always… when is it ever not complicated?

Kheris is LC. It’s first person LC so this is him telling his story. And not only that, but he’s telling the story in the middle of a battle when they’re surrounded by Bhenykhn. It’s the line in BD when he says he owes Mendhel so much… the one liner in that second book when he says his knee doesn’t hurt anymore after hurting for so long… why he hates AIs and that nightmare he has of kneeling in the dust with a gun to his head…

And the reason why Kheris was so significant? Yeah, you don’t really find out why until Book Five, or seven… or one, depending which way you look at it, and even then it’s not the whole story… when would I ever tell the whole story?

But back to Kheris Burning… I love it because it’s raw. I almost didn’t release it because it was too raw, and too real. It’s a kid growing up in a war zone. It’s ‘if Romeo and Juliet had a kid, on a scuzz bucket, war-torn mining colony in deep space, this is what happened thirteen years later’. It’s about not belonging. It’s about lying and deceit. It’s YA sci fi, alien invasion adventures, my usual fast-paced military science fiction stuff, but this is also LC, and anyone who knows me, anyone who has read any of my stuff, knows how important LC is to me.

And that’s why Kheris Burning is so important to me, and why I had to take time out of the main series to write it. Thank you to everyone for humouring me while I got this out of my system. Thank you to Clinton Herigstad for bringing it to life for the audiobook. And thank you, as always, to Hatt and the munchkins, and the rest of my family and friends, for putting up with me.

I’m back with Hil for Book Six (eight? two?)… and I must admit it’s weird because neither of us are where we were eleven years ago. There is going to be a young LC Book Three at some point, and Redemption is next on the list for Clinton and the audiobooks. But for now, it’s the big stuff so I’m stocking up on rum and listening to old Linkin Park.

Will be in touch again, and maybe it won’t be a year from now… or maybe it will. Who knows?
Cheers,
CGH

ps. And yes, Book Five, Darkest Fears, is out… at last!



 

Comments

Popular Posts